Being overweight can seem like someone beyond your control when you have struggled to beat it in the past. However, you can take back control, whether it is in the kitchen or with the help of your doctor and gastric band surgery.
Cook for Yourself
One way to gain more control of your weight is to take charge of what you are eating. If you aren’t already the main cook at home, it’s a good idea to spend more time in the kitchen. You will be able to control what you are eating and when.
1. Fill the house with healthy options and stop buying junk and snack foods
2. Plan your meals ahead of time so you know you’re eating a balanced diet
3. Prepare food in the healthiest way, avoiding extra salt and choosing boiled or baked dishes rather than fatty fried ones
4. Make just enough food, so you won’t be tempted to eat more or pick at leftovers
5. Have your meals ready at the same time each day so that your body gets used to the routine and you won’t get as hungry in between meals
Exercise is great for your health as well as for losing weight. Getting regular exercise can also help to reduce stress, boost your mood, and make you feel more in control of your weight loss. When you are exercising you are actively trying to improve your health. However, make sure you don’t push yourself too hard and ask your doctor for advice on exercising, particularly if you’ve had a bariatric procedure such as gastric band surgery.
Consider Weight Loss Surgery
Getting medical help can also enable you to take control of your weight. Your doctor can help you with diet and exercise, recommend medication, or perform weight loss procedures such as gastric band surgery. Having surgery is a particularly dramatic way to take control of your weight, but it can help if you have had trouble losing weight through diet and exercise alone. The support you receive before and after the surgery will also help you to take more control over what you are eating, which should help to make the surgery a success.