Gastric sleeve surgery can be very effective for weight loss, but it isn’t right for everybody. It is important to consider whether you are a good candidate for this procedure so you can be sure you are making the right choices for your health.
In order to have weight loss surgery of any kind, you will need to meet some eligibility requirements relating to your weight and general health. If you meet the following conditions, you might be a suitable candidate for gastric sleeve surgery or another bariatric procedure:
– You have a BMI of more than 40
– You have a BMI over 35 and a condition linked to obesity such as diabetes.
– You are fit enough to undergo surgery.
In addition to the physical requirements for weight loss surgery, it is also essential to ensure that you are mentally prepared for the procedure. You will need to be ready to make some big changes in order to make the surgery a success. Before you can have the gastric sleeve surgery, your doctor will want to ensure that:
– You have tried to lose weight through diet and exercise alone.
– You are prepared to make long term changes to your diet and lifestyle after surgery.
– You understand the risks and benefits of the procedure.
Once your meal is ready, sit down and eat it slowly. Focus on the flavours and allow yourself to enjoy good food in a healthy way.
If you meet the eligibility criteria and you are mentally prepared for weight loss surgery, you will need to decide which procedure is most suitable for you. You might be a good candidate for gastric sleeve surgery if:
– You have a large amount of excess weight to lose as this is one of the most effective procedures for weight loss.
– You have a condition like type 2 diabetes as your symptoms could improve rapidly after gastric sleeve surgery.
– You struggle with hunger when dieting so you want a procedure that will reduce your appetite.
– You don’t want to have an object such as a gastric band left in your body.
– You would prefer not to have your digestive system re-routed as in a gastric bypass.